Questions to Ask in Discerning a Decision
When a specific situation arises that calls for a discernment (continually chosing the way that leads to God), these questions may serve as helpful tools…
- Whose kingdom will be served?
- Who is being honored?
- How does this correspond with my personal rule of life?
- Does this lead to more or less control for myself?
- What ‘fuel’ sources are being drawn from?
Each of these questions ask the discern-er to consider a spectrum…
- attachment vs. freedom
- successful image vs. humility
- avoidance vs. truth
- control vs. surrender
- reactivity vs. passion
As we notice where the decision lies on each of these spectrums, it can become clearer whether this decision will lead us closer to God or pull us farther away. What do you say? Helpful or no?
These questions were adapted from Margaret Silf’s book Inner Compass, which I highly recommend to those interested in seeking deeper knowledge of discernment.